Notes on Systems Performance by Brendan Gregg
- IOPS: Reads and Writes per second
- Throughput: The rate of work performed. Example: For databases Throughput can refer to the operation rate (number of transactions per second)
- Latency: A measure of time an operation spends waiting to be serviced.
- Response time: The time for an operation to complete (including the time to transfer the result)
- Utilization: is often used for operating systems to describe device usage, such as for the CPU. Can be time based: the average amount of time the server or resource was busy (U = B/T); Capacity-base: In the context of capacity planning.
- Saturation: The degree to which more work is requested of a resource than it can process is saturation. Saturation begins to occur at 100% utilization (capacity-based)